Sunday

27 Sep 2020

Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle A Click here for all content for this cycle Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle A

SUNDAY SUMMARY

Ezekiel 18:25-28  Which way is more fair: human justice or divine mercy?

Psalm 25:4-5, 6-7, 8-9  The humble can be taught the ways of God.

Philippians 2:1-11  The attitude of Christ is humble and obedient to the will of God.

Matthew 21:28-32  One son says no and does yes. One says yes and does no. Which one is faithful?

The inner word image

The inner word

What’s in your heart?

One way to think of obedience is in terms “listening”; in fact, “to hear” is at the root of the word obey.

Read More
Exploring the word image

Exploring the word

Saying and doing

You’ll generally get no argument in insisting that actions speak louder than words. Despite the apparent consensus on this folk wisdom, most of us catch ourselves from time to time saying things we frankly will not do.

Read More
In other words image

In other words

The Sunday gospel in everyday English

“Tell me what you think of this story: A man had two sons. He went up to the first and said, ‘Son, go out for the day and work in the vineyard.’

Read More
Homily stories image

Homily stories

Judge not

I taught at a Catholic high school in Boston many years ago. The school was a mini United Nations with students of every color and many different cultures. It was my home for five years and I loved the place and the people. 

Read More
Homily stories image

Homily stories

Be the change

I worked as a counselor for a childcare agency years ago. The kids were orphans and/or wards of the state. One boy, Ray, was a good kid—friendly, helpful, even cheerful. Yet just below the surface, there seemed to be a slow-burning anger in Ray.

Read More
Homily stories image

Homily stories

He was a great disappointment

We called my sister’s college crush the Great Disappointer. He was tall, handsome, successful, smart, funny. Men loved having him around to talk business and sports; women loved his flirty, teasing way. He was a welcome guest at any party.

Read More
Homily stories image

Homily stories

Fair game

When I taught high school, I spent a number of years coaching the freshman soccer team. Then I became a soccer referee. That was back when I could still run up and down a field for an hour blowing a whistle.

Read More
Prayers image

Prayers

Penitential Act & Prayer of the Faithful

We ask for the mercy of God, who gives to those who do what is right and just.

Read More
Quotes image

Quotes

If you judge people you have no time to love them.

Read More

©2024 by TrueQuest Communications, LLC. PrepareTheWord.com; 312-356-9900; mail@preparetheword.com. You may reprint any material from Prepare the Word in your bulletin or other parish communications you distribute free of charge with the following credit: Reprinted with permission from Prepare the Word ( ©2024 ), www.PrepareTheWord.com.